Mission of the day: make something without having to go grocery shopping, meaning using only the ingredients in my kitchen!
Calls for some creativity, but when you set your mind to it you can whip up so many things with what you have at home!
So here it goes for a slightly revisited version of our classic Banana bread recipe because I’m sick of the boring banana bread we’ve been eating for years. It’s one of those recipes that calls for more oil and sugar than it does bananas 🙂 and then ends up being a little dry to taste.
Well not this time, because for this recipe, I replaced the vegetable oil by some yummy and healthy coconut oil, and added some unsweetened greek yogurt for moist. To give it a little spruce I also added shredded coconut and pecans!
But let’s get back to the coconut oil for just a few seconds. Another one of my favorite superfoods, did you know it has many impressive health benefits ? For a while it was demonized because it contains important amounts of saturated fat. People were saying that saturated fats could cause heart disease or cholesterol, nowadays they’re saying it’s harmless because it’s not the same kind of saturated fats that you would find in cheese or red meat. Honestly I don’t know who to believe anymore because we’re fed with so many lies about what we eat or are supposed to eat these days… What’s important is what your body needs and only a doctor can tell you!
So what’s fun about this oil is that it can apparently kill certain bacteria, can boost brain function, protect against hair damage, provides moisture to skin or even has sunscreen function ! Not bad for saturated fats. 😉
It also tastes so good, so why not replace it instead of the usual vegetable oil we put in our cakes.
For the topping, I decided to roast a banana in some butter and coconut sugar, then with the excess butter and sugar from my pan, slightly cook some shredded coconut. It gives a little bit of crunchiness to your cake that’s not bad at all.
You can do this recipe with pecans, but also walnuts or hazelnuts, or if you want chocolate chips inside !
INGREDIENTS: (for one loaf)
○ ½ cup unsweetened greek yogurt
○ 1 egg
○ 3 medium bananas, mashed (about 1⅓ cups)
○ 3 tablespoons coconut oil
○ 1⅓ cup flour
○ ½ cup sugar
○ 1 teaspoon baking soda
○ ¼ teaspoon salt
○ ½ cup chopped pecans
○ ½ cup shredded coconut
1. Preheat oven to 350°F / 175°C. Grease your loaf pan.
2. In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, shredded pecans and coconut.
3. In a separate bowl, combine yogurt, egg, oil and bananas. Add to flour mixture and stir just until moistened. Do not overmix. Pour into prepared pan.
4. Bake 50-55 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.
5. Roast a bananas in butter and coconut sugar, then slightly cook shredded coconut in the remaining butter from the pan. Add as topping on your cooked loaf.